At St. Charles Parish Hospital, surgery is a delicate balance of skill, knowledge and caring.
With operating rooms among the most advanced in the New Orleans area, our surgeons attest to superior patient outcomes, strict attention to infection control and operating room procedures. Our personalized care, convenient scheduling, departmental efficiency and follow-up phone calls set us apart from other hospitals.
St. Charles Parish Hospital offers the finest surgical care close to home. Surgeons, anesthesiologists, registered nurses, nurse anesthetists and surgical technicians work closely together to provide unparalleled care to you, our neighbor. Our surgery department consists of 6 surgical suites including a new urology suite featuring radiological capabilities in “real time” and state-of-the-art cataract surgery equipment providing enhanced diagnostic and therapeutic capabilities. You receive more personalized care and attention here where you are more than a number, you are a neighbor.
The Department of Anesthesiology at St. Charles Parish Hospital consists of highly trained physicians and certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA). Patients requiring anesthesia services can be assured their physical and emotional needs are of utmost importance when determining the appropriate course of anesthesia management.
Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU)
The post-anesthesia care unit is a short-term critical care area providing nursing care for the patients immediately following surgery. Patient care areas are equipped for continuous monitoring and observation of post-operative patients by specially trained CRNAs and registered nurses.
Same Day Surgery Unit
The nursing staff of the Same Day Surgery Unit prepares patients for their surgical procedures and is committed to helping the patient be a more pro-active participant in their healthcare experience and recovery. During the pre-op consultation, the nurse is responsible for obtaining a medical history, reviewing medications and ensuring that all procedures ordered prior to the surgery are performed. The nurse also reviews all pre-surgical instructions and answers all questions the patient or family members may have concerning the procedure.
Following surgery, the patient returns to the same day surgery unit where the patient is monitored through direct observation and the taking of vital signs. Before the patient is released, the nurse reviews all discharge instructions and educates the patient on care of the surgical site and precautions to take during recovery. A follow-up appointment with the patient’s physician is also scheduled at this time.
Our surgical repertoire includes:
Ear, Nose, and Throat - Otorhinolaryngology
• ENT procedures such as tonsillectomies and adenoidectomies, surgery for ear tubes, septal and nasal obstruction and chronic sinusitis
Surgical procedures performed on the colon, small bowel, liver, spleen and rectum
• Minimally invasive procedures resulting in less discomfort and a quicker recovery time
• Laparoscopic procedures including hernia repairs, anti-reflux procedures, colon resections, hemorrhoidectomies as well as the removal of the gallbladder and appendix
• Endocrine Surgery including thyroid, parathyroid, pancreas and ovary
• Breast surgery including needle directed and excisional biopsy, mastectomy with or without reconstruction and breast conservation procedures including lumpectomy and axillary dissection
• Colonoscopies and all other endoscopic procedures
Hysterectomies performed laparoscopically resulting in shorter hospital stays and quicker recovery time.
Premier equipment and techniques in the field of ophthalmology including cataract and glaucoma surgeries.
• Arthroscopic procedures for shoulder and knee injuries
• Total joint replacements
• Hand surgery including carpal tunnel and trigger finger
• Fracture treatment for orthopedic trauma
• Removal of bunions
• Release of hammertoes
• Nail procedures
Minimally invasive non-cardiac thoracic surgery for:
• Lung resection
• Pacemaker placement
• State-of-the-art urology suite enabling doctors and radiologists to view images in “real time”
• Minimally invasive kidney procedures for the removal of kidneys
• Laser and shock wave lithotripsy for the treatment of kidney stones
• Laser technology to treat urinary tract strictures and enlarged prostates
• Cryoablation of the prostate to treat prostate cancer
• Bladder suspensions
Vascular surgery procedures performed for the diagnosis and treatment of arterial and venous disease including:
• Carotid endarterectomy
• Peripheral vascular bypass
• Angioplasty with stents
• Venous access
• Dialysis access
• Varicose vein surgery
Surgical Services: 985-785-4279
Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.